Nama : Arifah Pujiati
NIM : 11.240.0255
Kelas : 2P46
Chapter 1 - Personal Computer Hardware
1. Applications can be grouped into general use software or industry specific software. What is example of industry specific software?
|an educational tool|
2. What characteristic of word processing software would make it a local application?
|The application is shared between users.|
|The software is stored on the local hard drive.|
|The software is accessible through a web page.|
|The software has the ability to manipulate text and graphics.|
3. Which three terms describe different types of computers?
|operating system, network, desktop|
|laptop, desktop, Windows|
|laptop, desktop, mainframe|
|network, desktop, mainframe|
|laptop, desktop, mainframe|
|operating system, Windows, Linux|
4. What are two benefits of connecting a laptop computer to a docking station?
|Mobility is increased and less power is required.|
|Mobility is increased and an external monitor can be used.|
|An external monitor can be used and more wireless security options are available.|
|More wireless security options are available and alternate connectivity options may be available.|
|Alternate connectivity options may be available and an external monitor can be used.|
5. Why do servers often contain duplicate or redundant parts?
|Servers require more power and thus require more components.|
|Servers should be accessible at all times.|
|Servers can be designed as standalone towers or rack mounted.|
|Servers are required by networking standards to have duplicate parts.|
6. What measurement is commonly associated with computer processing speed?
7. What are two advantages of purchasing a preassembled computer?
|usually a lower cost and exact components may be specified|
|usually a lower cost and extended waiting period for assembly|
|extended waiting period for assembly and adequate for performing most general applications|
|adequate for performing most general applications and usually a lower cost|
|suited for customers with special needs and exact components may be specified|
8. A user plans to run multiple applications simultaneously on a computer. Which computer component is essential to accomplish this?
9. Which adapter enables a computer system to exchange information with other systems on a local network?
|Network Interface Card|
10. What is the main storage drive used by servers, desktops, and laptops?
|optical drive (DVD)|
|floppy disk drive|
11. Which component is designed to remove high-voltage spikes and surges from a power line so that they do not damage a computer system?
12. What two functions does a UPS provide that a surge protector does not?
|It protects the computer from voltage surges and it provides backup power from an internal battery.|
|It protects the computer from voltage surges and it protects the computer from sudden voltage spikes.|
|It provides backup power from an internal battery and it gives the user time to safely shut down the computer if the power fails.|
|It protects the computer from sudden voltage spikes and it gives the user time to phone the electrical company.|
|It provides backup power through a generator provided by the wall outlet and it gives the user time to phone the electrical company.|
13. Which computer component is considered the nerve center of the computer system and is responsible for processing all of the data within the machine?
14. What can be used to prevent electrostatic discharge (ESD)?
|dry and non humid conditions|
|uncluttered work space|
15. Because of the potentially dangerous voltage levels, which two devices should you not open unless you have been specifically trained to work on them?
|mouse and power supply|
|hard drive and monitor|
|microprocessor and keyboard|
|monitor and power supply|
|hard drive and power supply|
16. In newer operating systems, how are system resources assigned by default when components are installed?
|manually assigned by the operating system|
|manually assigned by the administrator|
|statically assigned by the component to a preset resource|
|dynamically assigned between the component and the operating system|
17. A user reports that a peripheral device that was installed correctly last week has not been functioning since the PC was booted today. All other PC functions are working properly. What are three things a service technician should do to solve the problem?
18. Which two steps should be performed when installing a peripheral device?
19. How is a server different from a workstation computer?
|The server works as a standalone computer.|
|The server provides services to clients.|
|The workstation has fewer applications installed.|
|The workstation has more users who attach to it.|
20. Administrators at a multicampus college need access to their schedules wherever the administrators go. Which computing device would be the most appropriate?
21. How many unique values are possible using a single binary digit?